James Naismith invented basketball in Canada in 1891. Now it is one of the most popular sports in America because it’s exciting and fun to play. Basketball is played in many countries all over the world and is an Olympic sport.
A game of basketball needs two teams of five players. They play on a rectangular court and try to shoot the ball through a hoop 18 feet (5.49 meters) above the floor.
Because of the way the game is played, basketball is both exciting and fun to watch. All players need to be fast and agile, but they also need strength.
Instructions:Go through the vocabulary below with your students and ask them to try and use this vocabaulry where possible when discussing the different conversation questions.
Try and use the following vocabulary when answering the question. Click to look up the definition in the dictionary
- Is basketball popular in your country?
- Do you play basketball?
- Did you used to play basketball when you were younger?
- Do you like watching basketball?
- Would you prefer to play basketball or watch basketball?
- Can you think of any famous basketball players?
- What are the attributes you need to be good at basketball?
- Why is basketball a good sport for children to play?