The majority of society follows the rules and pays their taxes, but some people, for whatever reason, choose not to follow the rules and attempt to get away with working without paying their fair share of taxes. If you are paying your taxes, but find out that a friend or neighbour is not paying theirs, it can evoke a range of different responses. Some people are not bothered, whereas others feel it is unfair that they are paying into the system and others are not. When this situation occurs it can be a difficult decision to decide what to do.
Instructions:Go through the vocabulary below with your students and ask them to try and use this vocabaulry where possible when discussing the different conversation questions.
Try and use the following vocabulary when answering the question. Click to look up the definition in the dictionary
- Would you turn a blind eye if you knew your neighbour was working illegally?
- Do you know anyone who works or used to work illegally?
- Why do you think some people choose to work illegally?
- Have you or would you ever work illegally? Why?
- Do you think your country's current system forces a lot of people to work illegally?
- What do you think governments can do to reduce the amount of people working illegally?