Nobody likes paying taxes, but it is something that most people accept and pay to the government what they owe. However, there are some people who try and avoid paying taxes by using a tax avoidance scheme or lying to the government about their income.
The punishment for tax evasion varies depending on the severity of the crime. It could be a small fine or in extreme cases could result in a jail sentence of more than twenty years!
Instructions:Go through the vocabulary below with your students and ask them to try and use this vocabaulry where possible when discussing the different conversation questions.
Try and use the following vocabulary when answering the question. Click to look up the definition in the dictionary
- What should the punishment be for tax evasion?
- Have you ever evaded paying taxes?
- Do you think tax evasion should result in a jail sentence? Why?
- What do you think is the fairest punishment for tax evasion?
- Why do you think people try and avoid paying taxes?