50 Questions About Advertising
The topic of Advertising holds immense value for English learners, presenting a compelling opportunity for language enhancement. Exploring this subject introduces learners to a vast array of vocabulary, persuasive language and marketing techniques. Engaging in discussions about advertisements, branding and consumer behaviour nurtures conversational fluency and critical thinking skills.
Additionally, analysing various advertising campaigns and media messages hones reading comprehension and listening abilities.
Advertising is the industry that pursues the public’s attention towards something like a product or a service.
In this way, advertisements are used to attract interest, engagement and sales. These ads or adverts can come in many forms, existing two larger categories of advertising: digital and traditional.
On the one hand, digital advertising gives the possibility of reaching a wide public and can also be customized to narrow down a specific audience. Internet audiences can be targeted through social media platforms or displayed advertisements like banners and pop-ups.
On the other hand, traditional advertising can reach an enormous audience. We can still find traditional advertisements on television, radio, newspaper, magazine, direct mail and billboard designs.
Try and use the following vocabulary when answering the question. Click to look up the definition in the dictionary
- What was the last advert that you remember seeing?
- Can you remember the last time you bought something after seeing an advert for it?
- Do you remember any TV ads from when you were a child?
- What do you think makes a good advert?
- Can you think of a shocking advert that grabbed your attention?
- What different types of advertising are there?
- What type of advertising do you think you are exposed to the most?
- What type of advertising do you think is most successful nowdays?
- How do you feel when you see an advert on social media?
- What kind of advert would grab your attention?
- Can you think of any really bad advert either from now or in the past?
- What is the best advert you've ever seen?
- Do you think advertising on radio is still effective?
- How do you think businesses measure the success of different types of advertising?
- Why do companies advertise?
- Do you think there should be limits on online advertising?
- Do you think advertising that targets children should be allowed?
- Are there any adverts that really annoy you?
- What do you think is the most common form of advertising nowadays in your country?
- What do you think it is like to work in the advertising industry?
- Have you ever advertised anything? What was your experience like?
- What type of product do you think is good for advertising on social media?
- Would you like to work in advertising?
- Do adverts on YouTube frustrate you?
- What do you think would happen if companies were no longer allowed to advertise?
- Can you think of any unconventional methods of advertising you have seen?
- If you were a personal trainer where would you advertise your services?
- How would you describe Apple's approach to advertising?
- How would you describe Coca Cola's approach to advertising?
- What big companies can you think of that have used advertising successfully?
- Do adverts annoy you when watching television?
- Do you think removing adverts is a good way to sell a premium subscription to an app?
- Do you think companies should be allowed to advertise alcohol?
- Are there any products that you think companies shouldn't be allowed to advertise?
- If you were selling luxury cars, where would you advertise?
- If you were selling hand-made crafts, where would you advertise them?
- What type of advertising do you think was more effective 50 years ago than now?
- Can you think of any funny adverts that made you laugh?
- What do you think when you see a celebrity advertising a product?
- What type of products or services would be good to advertise on billboards?
- Do you think creating an effective advert is a hard skill to learn?
- What type of products would be god to advertise on Instagram?
- What type of product or service would benefit from using TV commercials?
- Do you think funny or serious adverts are better for attracting customers?
- Do you think delivery leaflets to peoples homes is an effective way to advertise? If so, what type of businesses would benefit from it?
- What are the best place to put adverts when people are out and about?
- Can you think of any place where adverts are not commonly seen, but would be a good place to attract customers?
- How important is it for companies to be inclusive in their advertising campaigns?
- If you were going to create a TV commercial for McDonalds, what would you do?
- Do you think people are becoming more immune to advertising nowadays?