Sleep is something that everybody needs to stay alive. It is a time when the body repairs itself and you can re-energise so you are ready for the next day.
Without sleep we would die which makes it one of the most important things we can do in life along with drinking water, eating and breathing. Many people’s lifestyles now are so busy that if they get 5 hours sleep a night it is considered to be adequate, but is it enough or are we doing ourselves damage by not taking sleep seriously?
Deep sleep (idiom) = when someone sleeps very well.
Example: “She was in such a deep sleep it was impossible to wake her up!”
Drowsy (adjective) = to feel a little sleepy.
Example: “I always feel drowsy in the afternoon if I drink wine with my lunch”
Wake up (phrasal verb) = the moment someone stops sleeping.
Example: “What time did you wake up today?”
How important is sleep?
- Do you think you get enough sleep?
- Do you think people in general get enough sleep?
- What problems might we have if we do not get enough sleep?
- Do you think the government should do more to promote the benefits of adequate sleep?
- What can people do to help them sleep better?