It’s no secret that facial recognition technology has been creeping into our lives for the past few years. Facial recognition is being used in more and more places, from social media to law enforcement, and while it has been claimed to be making our lives easier, others are becoming more concerned with the potential dangers of such technology.
The ability to identify criminals or terrorists who might otherwise be able to disguise themselves and elude capture is said to be one of the main benefits of this technology. On the other side of the argument, there are concerns that the system could be used against people who have no criminal record but who are merely perceived as “suspicious” based on their race or ethnicity.
Share Your Thoughts
- Have you ever used facial recognition software?
- Do you think using facial recognition is safer than a password for unlocking your phone?
- Do you think cameras with facial recognition technology will be common place in the future?
- Do you think this technology is a good way to catch criminals?
- What other ways do you think facial recognition will be used in the future?
- Are you worried about your face being scanned when you are walking around town?