The Efficiency of Protests
Protests are a form of nonviolent demonstration that is used to express public opinion or dissatisfaction. The goal of a protest is to bring attention to an issue and make people aware of it.
However, does protesting work? It’s difficult to say for sure, because the answer depends on what you define as success. For example, if the goal is to get rid of a dictator and there are protests in the streets, but he doesn’t step down from power, then the protests have failed. However, if the goal was just to raise awareness about an issue and make people more sympathetic to it then those protests have been successful.
- Have you ever been on a protest? What was it for? What was your experience like?
- If you felt strongly enough about the issue, would you go on a protest?
- Can you think of any recent protests where you live?
- What type of people go on protests?
- What other ways to voice your opinion are there aside from protests?
- Are protests effective? Were they ever effective?