The simple present tense is important in English as it is used to describe actions or states that are currently happening or always true. It is the most frequently used tense in English and is essential for communication in everyday situations.
For beginners, mastering the simple present tense is crucial as it forms the foundation for more complex tenses in English. Without a solid understanding of the simple present tense, learners may struggle with using other tenses correctly and communicating effectively in English.
Improving grammar through conversation is a fun and effective way to enhance English language skills, as it provides opportunities to practice grammar in context and receive immediate feedback on language use.
Present Simple For First Person
The conversation questions below all focus on responding in the first person.
To construct a sentence in the present tense using the first person, you use the base form of the verb, followed by the subject pronoun “I.” The sentence should describe an action that is happening now or is a general and ongoing occurrence.
- I drink coffee in the morning. (describing a daily routine)
- I work as a software engineer. (describing an ongoing occupation)
- I enjoy reading books in my free time. (describing a current interest)
It is important to keep in mind that some verbs are irregular in the present tense and do not follow this pattern. For example, the verb “be” changes to “am” for “I am.”
- What's do you enjoy doing in your free time?
- What do you usually have for breakfast?
- What kind of music do you like to listen to?
- What do you usually do on weekends?
- How do you usually spend your evenings?
- What's hobbies do you have?
- What's your favourite type of food?
- What do you usually do on your birthday?
- What's your favourite type of movie or TV show?
- What do you do to stay healthy or fit?
- What's your favourite way to relax or unwind?
- Are you an organised person?